Often, we predict calamities and then they happen. We call this a “Self-fulfilling Prophecy.” It is somewhat like going to a fortune-teller. They tell you what is going to happen and often your sub-conscious mind makes it happen.
There are plenty of bad things going on in our world. There is no doubt about it. It is one thing to recognize it when you see it; it is quite another thing to expect bad things to always happen.
Buzzards look for dead animals. You may come across one but you are not out looking for them. Just for today, let us focus beyond troubles, trials and tensions and expect something “good.” Here are Seven Good Reasons for such expectation:
1. Reason One: It’s no secret, we must trust God. Psalm 118:8 – It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
2. Reason Two: No only do I trust Him, but the mercy and favor of God transcends my troubles. For this, be thankful. Psalm 118:1 – Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever. Luke 1:50 – And His mercy is on those who fear Him From generation to generation
3. Reason Three: I refuse to be listed as “the walking dead!” Yes, I may have been wounded, but I will continue to walk with God. Psalm 116:9 – I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
4. Reason Four: I may be weary and wounded, but I’ll walk with Him because it is to my advantage. Psalm 116:12 – What shall I render to the LORDall His benefits toward me? Psalm 115:13 –He will bless those who fear the LORD, Both small and great.
5. Reason Five: So, while the buzzards may be circling in my world, I can find confidence in Him. Psalm 112:5-7 – A good man deals graciously and lends; He will guide his affairs with discretion. Surely he will never be shaken; The righteous will be in everlasting remembrance. He will not be afraid of evil tidings; His heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD.
6. Reason Six: When my confidence in Jesus is present nothing is able to overcome my heart and praise: Psalm 111:1 – Praise the LORD! I will praise the LORD with my whole heart, In the assembly of the upright and in the congregation. Romans 8:37-39 – Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
7. Reason Seven: Instead of looking for the buzzards of bad things, be careful to do good and expect a profitable return on your investment. Titus 3:8 (NKJV) This is a faithful saying, and these things I want you to affirm constantly, that those who have believed in God should be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men.